Saturday, June 24, 2006

Beach day in Nice

Nice
Today I finally had a day to do and see nothing. But of course it was hard to break routine, so I ended up walking around the old town and shopping district of Nice for 3.5 hours! Yikes that doesn't sound very relaxing. But then I came to my wits and hit the beach. If you don't know about the beaches in Nice, well, they're beautiful and stretch for over 10 miles, but there's no sand, its just pebbles. It actually is not as bad as it sounds because sand doesn't get all over everything and the stones become comfortable after a while. Also, the Ironman competition is going on here so there are thousands of people around for that. My closest buddy in Nice is a Brit from Gilford (Southwest London) and he is working staff at the competition so I got to hear all about it. Last night, him and I watched the Argentina/Mexico game at the bar in our hostel. It got pretty rowdy and Argentina won in Overtime scoring a 'Silver Goal.' Anyways, the game was much more competitive than anyone thought. We met some special ed teachers from Texas who were right out of college and on their way to Italy soon so I was able to profess all of our wisdom about the places we went to. Also, 2 other roommates of mine I met and hung out with go to UF actually. They too were on their way to Italy soon so I gave them some tips. They just returned from Barcelona so I heard their stories as well.
The French people I encountered have been very nice so far. I did run into one arrogant anti-American Frenchman, but other than that everything has been tip top...there goes my english friend's vocab rubbing off on me. Of course I can't get the phones to work here but that's a different story. Anyways, time to get ready to go to Barcelona, Au Revoir~

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,

Hope all is well and that you hung out at an Italian pub, rather than a Frenh bistro, yesterday. I just wanted to thank you for the postcard you sent and your insights into the World cup. After a rough start (due to the fact that my first 10 entries never got recorded since I failed to hit the submit button on the ESPN site), I made a comeback from last place to second in the pool.

I've enjoyed your blog thus far and look forward to reading more entries. I wish I could be joining you and the Kennell Clan in Portugal, but instead I'll have to live vicariously through you all.

Be careful of head-butting frenchmen...

Ciao!

Jack

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Page Hit Counters